Wednesday 17 August 2011

It's a jungle out there.

Perhaps I’m just shy, perhaps I’m just young, or perhaps it’s just the fact I’ve lived in London for too long. But the idea of asking strangers –Londoners no less –to tell me their name, where they work, where they buy their clothes and the dreaded, how old are you. A very scary thought. 

It’s noon, ravenous office workers disperse onto Spitalfields as quickly as their high heels will let them, in desperate search for nourishment, their next fix of caffeine or that well deserved cigarette after a morning of meetings, endless emails and over bearing bosses. You can imagine these are not the people you wish to bother.

Detouring away from the madness, I came across Spitalfields Market –a place I had not visited since childhood. It seemed almost tranquil among the wildness raging on outside. Here I found, a magical array of bohemian chic and city sophistication. The range of products and garments available brings a diverse and colourful element to this city where grey concrete seems to be the national palette.

Hidden in the back of their tiny stalls, are the market vendors who with their proud individuality magically enhance the edgy an urban feel to this little known gem.

Written By Georgina Ardill

No comments:

Post a Comment